Saturday, April 04, 2009

Out with the old...



15 years ago, my dad gave me a BBQ grill for my birthday. It was one of the nicest things I ever received. Every spring I would clean it up and replace parts. About 7 years ago I replaced the broken handle with a baseball bat (I didn't use the bat as a tool to remove the handle, but as the actual handle. OK?). That worked really well and looked pretty cool too. My dad died a few years ago and I became even more attached to the old Charbroil. But the cast-tron racks are almost nonexistent from continual scrubbing and heating and the second replacement burner is now rotten, etc.

Today would have been the big spring cleaning and replacement session. Instead, I went out and bought a new grill. Sarah and I did a lot of shopping around. Buying locally is something we try to do, to help out the old city tax base. This Big Green Egg grill came from Spokane Fireplace and Patio and is assembled in the US. The other one we were looking at was the Primo grill, which is made entirely in the US - "Georgia." Better than Texas anyhow.

I think my dad would be glad that I bought a new grill. He really liked to buy stuff. However, I think he wouldn't have liked that this is a charcoal grill and not propane.

I plan on making some things out of the old one - some bicycley things...

3 comments:

John Speare said...

I've always been intrigued by the Big Green Egg. I think the first time I saw one was about a decade ago at Uwajimaya in Seattle. Seems like you could do a crazy long slow roast in there. I'm thinking brisket might be pretty good. I wonder how they grill?

I'm really bending my mind to figure out the bikey-bbq thing. Can't conjure anything.

EvilElf said...

Grilled some chicken and ribs with it last night. It worked really well.

I am in consultation right now with a friend of mine on the bikey-bbq thing. I am studying (or supposed to be studying) for my paramedic practical testing in Stockton. Once that's out of the way, I will be back on track for more fun projects, and this one is up near the top!

Mmmmm - brisket!

The Spovangelist said...

Buying local AND upcycling into bikey things? Very cool!