Friday, February 21, 2014

Trade Winds Logo

As you probably already know, I am a big Trade Winds Motel fan. Years ago, I designed a t-shirt to celebrate the Trade Winds. At the time, it had been converted to low income housing. The pool, in the parking lot, was about 1/3 full. In the muddy water were shopping carts, garbage bags and other detritus. After I made this shirt, someone requested a concierge option and I obliged.










Next came the black velvet painting. This was my first (and only) attempt at black velvet. It turned out OK.








For Christmas, Sarah gave me this framed screen of the logo. Really cool. Great colors!








And over at the Tiki Room there is this great postcard featuring the original sign. How cool is that?







This sign was also on their matchbook covers.







Now, the Trade Winds is all but abandoned. I hope that we will always have this (currently neglected) landmark. Spokane is not a very old city. In perspective, the Trade Winds has been around for a long time. It captures a time when Spokane was very young and World War Two vets hit the open road - rediscovering the country they fought for. When I am walking past it, I squint my eyes and I can almost picture the Trade Winds in its prime. While I am at it, I picture Mollie's (the old IHOP) as a cool tiki bar across the street.

No comments: