Thursday, January 05, 2017

Cool runnings


Just got in from a sub-zero run around the neighborhood. I am still running to and from work - about 3.5 miles each way, but have not been out in the really cold for just a “fun” run lately. So, I put on almost all the running clothes I own and headed out early this morning.


Do you know anyone who drives a garbage truck? I do. The two guys I know are among the most intelligent and caring folks I have ever met. I am glad they don’t have to get out of their trucks too much now that there is the mechanical arm device.



All the folks on Manito Blvd had their cans in an easy-to-reach spot for the arm.


Even though it’s mechanical, I don’t think it’s magical. How do some people think it's going to reach 10 feet over a snow berm? And when you put a parked car in the mix…

I suspect that our garbage collector has to park their truck, get out and move the ill-placed cans to a more accessible location. But, you know what, hopefully, you get to meet the worker when they are doing this. They are all a nice bunch and will, more than likely, cheerfully overcome any obstacles you have inadvertently placed in front of them.

When you work for a municipality, when you have a strong union that provides a living wage for your family, you care about the people you serve. They are your neighbors, friends and family. In turn, the people you serve care about you.


On a cold winter run, early this morning, I felt pretty warm.

No comments: