Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Running True, Episode 1, 11-29-17





Running has been an important part of my life for over 40 years. I have never been a "great" runner but I have been a faithful and persistent one. Running has helped me sort through a lot of things in my head. One thing that always kept coming up was my transgender stuff from my childhood and how to manage it as an adult.



In fact, it was because of an ultra marathon and a request made of me during that time that I came out to the rest of my family, my friends and everyone else.



One of the downsides (maybe the only downside) of hormone replacement therapy was that after about six months of it, running sucked. It seemed pointless. I know many of you not on HRT feel the same way about running anyway!



I want to rediscover running again this time in a body that has about 1/50th of the testosterone it did have and about twenty times the estrogen, a body that looks and feels a lot different, better, but different.



Also, my mind has changed some too. And I think that's where the real challenge in long distance running comes from.



I have a 31 mile race planned for four months from now. I need to get from zero miles per week up to about 80.



It's going to be a new kind of running for me. I will be running with a new body and mind and with the truth out of who I am.

No comments: