Friday, December 18, 2015

Sayonara Kato

It probably isn't good form to air one's failures on a blog, but that's what I'm going to do.

If you've been over to my house, you know this colorful guy:


We've had Kato for over 10 years. About five years ago, he started screeching... a lot. I know it was his way of saying hello, or just participating in the goings on. But, it really sounded like someone angrily screaming at someone else. And when that someone else is continually you, it starts to wear on you. We tried every remedy we could find. Invested a lot of money and time. Things would work for a while and then we would be back in the same spot. There would be times when Sarah and I would scream back and be angry at the bird. He might have interpreted this as a good thing. I know we didn't feel any better for yelling at him.  For the last few years, the only source of stress in our home was this bird.


People would come over to visit, and they would cringe when Kato started screaming at them. We would apologize a lot, but in the end, what can you do?  You could tell what they wanted to do - to Kato.

So, yesterday, we did the only thing that was left to do. We loaded up Kato, his cage, all his toys (which he really didn't seem to care about one way or the other) and put him up for adoption at Sparky's.  We aren't selling him or his stuff. We just want him to go to a good home, maybe a deaf family or a family that yells at each other a lot.

Kato never seemed stressed out. He never plucked feathers. He was sociable and was good about being handled by anyone. People who know sun conures say he was the nicest one they ever met. Which doesn't make me feel any better, and also makes me wonder how bad they can get.


So, I failed Kato. Our home couldn't take it any more and we gave up. I don't think I ever failed a pet, and it sucks. But, I can't help but think that everyone in our family, including Kato, is now happier. At least that's what I'll tell myself.


No comments: