Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Spring riding is here - I hope...


Had a very nice ride into work yesterday. There are more cyclists showing up on the street. This could be the year when we achieve critical mass (the original def). Have been seeing more and more cyclists on the sidewalk downtown. Not the usual transient bikers, but hipster kids - going fast - darting around pedestrians. Whatup whippersnappers? Get a helmet, slacker, and get the f@#k off the sidewalk.

The closest I ever came to hitting a cyclist with my car was in San Francisco. I was making a left turn across an empty crosswalk when she came out of nowhere zipping along on the sidewalk at 15 MPH to take advantage of the fading "walk" sign. It scared the shit out of me.

A confession: I use a 10-foot section of sidewalk between the Super C and the station's approach when I arrive at work in the morning, but I keep it very slow. Otherwise, I have to go around the block to get to work. Still, I realize that if someone came crawling from the alley and I ran over them in the Super C parking lot, I would totally be at fault.

Just when you thought the awesome festival barricade around the fountain was the best, they've kicked it up a notch to barricade off the middle of the Howard St. bridge. Some concertina wire might be the next beautification step. Homeland Security grant maybe? $$$$!

2 comments:

Hank Greer said...

I can't wait for them to figure out where to paint the "wheels only" lines. Maybe a set on each side with "One Way" and "Do Not Enter" signs.

That would confuse some pedestrians.

Lucas said...

You mean the pedestrians who are completely oblivious to the "Wheels Only" marks in the first place?