Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Obligatory Garden Post

Well, you are probably not wondering how grows my garden, but that has never stopped me before.

Everything was grown from seed here at headquarters, except 5 of the 20 something eggplant. I was worried that my eggplant had too late of a start. I panicked and bought the 5 starts. The little ones that I started from seed now have just as many blossoms on them as the purchased ones.

We also have the usual tomatoes, raspberries, lettuce, zucchini, kale, collards, beets, cucumbers, peas, beans, peppers, basil and winter squash.


The vertical hydroponic tomato garden (VHTG) is in a new sunnier spot this year and is doing pretty well too. Still no ripe tomatoes from hydroponic or traditional methods yet.


Working in the garden is always great. People stop to say that things are looking good (thank you) and also want to tell me about how their garden is faring. It's a nice way to get to know people in the neighborhood. Sarah has been a neighborhood supplier of raspberries, thanks to her finely honed skills as a child laborer.

The bees have been really going to town, burrowing deep into the poppies, sometimes 5 or 6 to a flower to imbibe in poppy nectar. Someone must have some hives close by, there are so many of them. Poppy honey sounds addictive. I think the bees' activity is a little compressed too, in that once it gets above 80 degrees, they have headed off to a cooler place, or maybe to cool the hive down. Pretty smart them bees.


No comments: