Friday, September 19, 2014

Best cider yet

I've been making hard cider for quite a few years. Ever since they started pasteurizing cider at Greenbluff, I figured why not just use store-bought apple cider. So for the last three years or so I've been making apple cider using Costco apple juice. In the recipe, I use sulfites, brown sugar, yeast nutrient, ascorbic acid and other goodies.

This year I decided to be a little more primitive. I just took the apple juice, pitched a little Belgian beer yeast that I had laying around in the refrigerator, put an airlock on it, and let her sit.







After fermenting for a couple of weeks, I took the airlock off and put the cap back on. It became very carbonated, so much so that I burped the bottle throughout the days for fear of it exploding. It is some of the best cider I think I've ever glugged.






No comments: